By: Candess Zona-Mendola of MakeFoodSafe
Diners over Labor Day Weekend got more than they bargained for when they ate at Pasha Mediterranean Grill in San Antonio. This week, Metro Health has reported a Salmonella food poisoning outbreak linked to the restaurant.
The currently 255 reported illnesses were all isolated to the location at 9339 Wurzbach (Road), 12 of which have been hospitalized. Metro Health reports that they have received over 300 calls, and more cases are likely to be linked to the outbreak. In the meantime, the local health authorities have inspected the restaurant and found food safety violations, including sick employees and refrigerators at improper cooling temperatures. Early reports insinuate that hummus may be to blame for the illnesses. The investigation is still ongoing, and the final report is still pending.
Metro Health recommends that anyone who ate at Pasha Mediterranean Grill during Labor Day Weekend, who has become ill, to seek immediate medical attention and stool testing. They also recommend contacting 311 to report any illnesses.
- Outbreak News This Week: Guests include Kamran Khan MD and Michael Osterholm, PhD
- New Jersey reports additional Asian Longhorned tick
- South Korea MERS: Unusual, but not unexpected
- Appalachian State University: Confirmed case of meningococcemia in off-campus student
- Leptospirosis outbreak prompts travel notice for Israel
- Pertussis cases nearly double this year in Utah County
- Ebola in the DRC: 100 confirmed cases
- England reports monkeypox case, believe to be contracted in Nigeria
- Infectious disease news: Top 5 posts for the week Sept. 1-7