By Jory Lange
Watermelon, honeydew, and cantaloupe have caused a Salmonella outbreak. 23 people have been hospitalized. 93 people have been infected with Salmonella. 27 people in Ohio have Salmonella infections. 19 people in Michigan have Salmonella infections. 18 people in Indiana have Salmonella infections. 16 people in Kentucky have Salmonella infections. 5 people in Illinois have Salmonella infections. 3 people in Minnesota have Salmonella infections. 3 people in Missouri have Salmonella infections. 1 person each in Wisconsin and Alabama have Salmonella infections.
In response to this Salmonella outbreak, Caito Foods is recalling pre-cut watermelon, honeydew melon, and cantaloupe melon produced at its Indianapolis, Indiana facility. Caito Foods is also recalling pre-cut fruit medley products containing either watermelon, honeydew melon, or cantaloupe melon.
These products were distributed in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
The recalled melon products were packaged in clear plastic clamshell containers. A complete list of the recalled products is here.
The CDC’s alert is here.
According to the CDC, “Caito Foods LLC and SpartanNash Company supply to independent retailers, so it is important to look at the label description and brand information to identify the product.”
This is not the first Salmonella outbreak linked to Caito Foods. Last year, 77 people were infected with Salmonella after eating pre-cut melons from Caito Foods.
- E. coli outbreak linked to ground beef, 3rd largest reported in 20 years
- Plague case reported in ranch dog from Quay County, New Mexico
- Reunion dengue cases near 5,000 in Q1 2019
- IU: 7th mumps case confirmed
- Madagascar measles cases near 123K since September
- Africa: Vaccination levels fall short in several countries
- Mozambique cholera cases climb, Large vaccination campaign rolled-out
- Philippines reports 56K dengue fever cases in Q1 of 2019