In a follow-up to reports on the diarrhea outbreak that has struck parts of the Eastern Visayas, particularly Samar province, DOH Regional Director Minerva Molon says the death toll has reached 44 as of today, up 11 over the weekend.
The poor sanitation and tainted water has resulted in nearly 3500 illnesses in the region. Last week, it was reported that three cities in the province were under an outbreak declaration.
Cases are reported all over the province to include Northern and Eastern Samar. Areas of Leyte have also been affected. Hilongos has seen more than 300 cases and Tacloban has reported three dozen cases and one death.
The causative agent (s) have yet to be identified.
- Panama issues national health alert over H1N1 influenza
- Orlando terror attack: Governor Scott activates Florida Disaster Fund, FMA thanks medical community
- Outbreak News This Week 6-12-16 (Podcast)
- Odisha: Anthrax kills two in Rayagada, suspected in elephant deaths in Deogarh forest
- Scrub typhus warning issued in Taiwan
- Puerto Rico: 1500 confirmed Zika virus cases, ‘It is imperative to continue to bring the message of prevention’