School lunch menus have gotten a lot healthier since the days of mystery meat and juice cocktails made of sweet powdered blends, but does that really mean your kids are eating well? Find out the statistics in the infographic below. You’ll be surprised by how much of your child’s lunch could be going to waste.
Did you know:
- 95% of schools are successfully serving healthy lunches since the Healthy, Hungry-Free Kids Act of 2010. Schools must offer each student a menu of these 5 food groups every day:
- Whole Grains
- Students must select at least 3 groups.
- However, students throw away:
73% of their vegetables
47% of their fruit
19% of their entrees
25% of their milk.
- In the U.S., $1.3 Billion worth of food is wasted annually
- Fewer than 50% of students meet standards for vitamins A and C, as well as iron because they don’t finish their fruits and vegetables and grains.
What Can Parents Do?
- Start conversations with your child about what they ate at school.
- Eat balanced meals at home.
- Consult a physician first if you are considering supplementing your child’s diet with vitamins.
See the complete Infographic HERE