The situation with screwworm has grown since September as officials now report some 10 percent of the endangered Key deer have required euthanasia due to infestation and the screwworm has now been found in several Florida Keys.
In an interview for tonight’s Outbreak News This Week Radio Show, University of Florida Associate Professor of Veterinary Entomology, Dr. Phil Kaufman joined me for a discussion on screwworm.
Kaufman talked about the biology of screwworm, the pathology demonstrated on an infected mammal, treatment, the devastating effects on the Key deer and prevention and control methods employed by federal and state agricultural officials.
Read more at Fresh from Florida
LISTEN to the interview below:
The Outbreak News This Week Radio Show, the first and only radio program dedicated to infectious disease and health news and information, airs every Sunday at 8 pm ET in the Tampa Bay area on AM 1380 The Biz and online at http://1380thebiz.com/
- Inside Haiti: A discussion with Dr. John Carroll of ‘Haitian Hearts’
- Bioterrorism: A history, the agents and more
- Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever: A conversation with Dr Judy Stone
- Smallpox: ‘You can argue that Henderson may of saved more lives than any other single human being in human history’, Hotez states
- Hashimoto’s disease: An interview with Mark Engelman, MD