Dallas County health officials are reporting the second case of imported Dengue virus in Dallas County for 2018. The 37-year-old resident of Dallas was infected during recent travel to Haiti.
“Dallas County residents traveling to countries where these viruses are endemic should take precaution when traveling,” said Ganesh Shivaramaiyer, Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) Interim Director. Dengue is not spread directly from person to person, however mosquitoes become infected when they feed on a person already infected with the virus. Infected mosquitoes can then spread the virus to other people.”
Dengue is an illness caused by a virus that is spread through mosquito bites. Symptoms include fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, rash, and pain in the eyes, joints, and muscles. After you are bitten by an infected mosquito, symptoms can take up to 2 weeks to develop but usually end in a week. In severe cases, symptoms may include intense stomach pain, repeated vomiting and bleeding from the nose or gums.
“It is very important that travelers understand how they can protect themselves and others,” said Dr. Christopher Perkins, DCHHS medical director/health authority. “Travelers should always practice mosquito prevention while they are in countries where these viruses are found, and if they happen to acquire a mosquito borne virus, they should avoid being bitten again.”
CDC advises there is no vaccine to treat or prevent the Dengue. Travelers can protect themselves by preventing mosquito bites.
- Japan syphilis cases top 6,000, More rubella cases reported
- Achdut Tahini products recalled, linked to Salmonella outbreak
- Israel measles outbreak tops 2,000
- Measles in Rockland County hits 83 cases
- Philippines: Measles cases up dramatically in 2018
- Myanmar: 25 human rabies deaths reported in Yangon this year
- Ohio hepatitis A outbreak nears 1,000 cases