The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) issued a Health Advisory last week to alert the health care community of Serratia marcescens bloodstream infections potentially associated with BD PosiFlush™ Heparin Lock Flush and BD™ Pre-Filled Normal Saline Flush syringes.
BD was notified by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) about a potential epidemiological link between catheter related blood stream infections and the S. marcescens bacterium.
To date, no products have tested positive for S. marcescens.
BD has issued a voluntary recall of certain lots of BD PosiFlush™ Heparin Lock Flush and BD™ Pre-Filled Normal Saline Flush syringes due to potential contamination with S. marcescens.
- Mexico reports mumps outbreak, many cases in college students
- Chikungunya cases up big in Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil
- Bill Gates warns of pandemic flu, commits millions for universal flu vaccine
- Measles: Three additional cases reported on Okinawa
- Canada norovirus outbreak grows: 172 cases from three provinces