By: Candess Zona-Mendola of MakeFoodSafe
The Brazoria County Department of Health announced today that there has been an increase in Shigella illnesses in the Texas county over the last two months.
The majority of those sick are children and most cases appear to be linked to schools and daycares. The number of confirmed cases or the daycares linked in this Brazoria County Shigella Outbreak have not yet been disclosed.
The health officials recommend that anyone or their children that are showing the signs and symptoms of Shigella seek medical attention. Symptoms of Shigellosis include:
TGI-Black Friday! Get QuietOn Snore Cancelling Earbuds for only $199 at ZQuiet.com! Offer valid 11/29-12/2.
- Diarrhea (may contain mucus or blood)
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal cramping
Shigellosis is a Texas Notifiable Condition, and cases are asked to be reported within one week to the Brazoria County Health Department staff; phone numbers 979-864-2154 or 979-864-2168.
- Florida: High school students use synthetic frogs for dissections
- Mumps: 5 more cases at the College of Charleston
- Hong Kong officials investigate measles case
- Doug Sauls’ Bar-B-Q & Seafood Linked to Salmonella Outbreak in Nashville, North Carolina
- Cruise outbreak: 133 sickened on Norwegian Cruises’, Norwegian Joy