By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Spain’s Ministry of Health reported another 2,000 COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours, bringing the country total to 11,178.
The coronavirus related fatalities close in on 500 with 491 officially reported.
Madrid and Catalonia account for more than 6,000 of Spain’s cases.
The Ministry of Health also reported that they started the distribution of more than a million surgical masks among the Autonomous Communities. Madrid is the community that will receive the greatest number because it is also the region with the highest number of positives.
This afternoon a cargo plane from Shanghai (China) arrived at Zaragoza airport with 500,000 masks that have been donated and will be distributed in the next few hours. In addition, between yesterday and today, other items have been distributed that, in total, add up to 546,000 more masks.
Likewise, the Ministry of Health maintains a centralized purchase of all kinds of sanitary material to face the fight against the coronavirus.
The European Union will close its borders to all non-essential travel as it attempts to contain the ongoing spread of the coronavirus on the continent.
- The COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic has a natural origin, scientists say
- Venezuela: President Maduro announces country enters ‘social quarantine’, 33 positive cases of COVID-19
- Puerto Rico reports 5 COVID-19 cases, Curfew imposed
- China COVID-19: The explosion of cases was largely driven by individuals with mild, limited, or no symptoms who went undetected
- Brazil COVID-19 and dengue fever updates
- COVID-19 testing: Hologic’s Panther Fusion SARS-COV-2 Assay, LabCorp’s RT-PCR test issued EUAs from FDA