At least twenty-two people from Tegat Village in Molo were admitted at the Nyayo hospital in Elburgon, with residents fearing they may have contracted anthrax after consuming milk from a sick cow, according to a Citizen TV report.
Elburgon assistant commissioner Naftali Korir says 18 people have been treated and discharged. The area veterinary officer has confirmed anthrax in the meat.
Anthrax is a serious infectious disease caused by gram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria known as Bacillus anthracis. Anthrax can be found naturally in soil and commonly affects domestic and wild animals around the world. Although it is rare, people can get sick with anthrax if they come in contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products.
- Texas: Health officials investigate mumps cases in Hidalgo County
- Baltimore area: Measles case confirmed, Possible exposure in Pikesville
- Guyana update: 2nd Chinese worker died from leptospirosis
- Canada: Salmonella outbreak reported in six provinces
- Measles case confirmed in Indiana, Exposure risks also in Texas, MIchigan
- Infectious disease news brief: Florida Hepatitis A outbreak
- The rise of measles in the US: Dr. Bernhard Wiedermann on C-SPAN