The Taiwan Centers for Disease Control (CDC) issued a hantavirus warning after a northern Taiwan man contracted the rodent-borne virus.
The case is a 43-year-old male who is involved in environmental protection work in northern Taiwan. He has a medical history of chronic illness. In mid-December, when he developed fever, muscle aches and joint pains, he sought medical attention and was hospitalized for treatment. Infection with hantavirus was later confirmed in the case. After receiving proper treatment, the case has recovered and been discharged from the hospital.
This has prompted the CDC to urge the public to take measures to keep rodents out of their homes while spring cleaning.
Hantavirus is a relatively rare disease reported in Taiwan with 0 to 2 cases of hantavirus hemorrhagic fever confirmed annually (14 cases since 2001).
Taiwan CDC urges the public to create a mouse-free environment by maintaining good household hygiene and by carrying out deratting measures when necessary. Individuals should avoid contact with rodent droppings, urine, saliva, and nesting materials.
Closed storage sheds and cabins are often ideal sites for rodent infestations. While cleaning up rodent droppings and urine, spray the droppings and urine with a disinfectant or a mixture of bleach and water and let the excreta soak in the disinfectant or bleach solution for 30 minutes before disposing of the waste in the garbage.