In a follow-up on the mumps situation at a Houston, TX U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) facility, ICE officials are now reporting 27 confirmed cases of mumps in detention facilities across the state.
According to a Houston Public Media report, the cases are divided among Houston (13) and San Antonio (14) facilities.
The Houston Contract Detention Facility has eight confirmed cases and the largest cluster of cases is at the South Texas ICE Processing Center, in Pearsall, where ten people are infected.
Cases have also been reported at the Joe Corley Detention Facility in Conroe (5), the Rio Grande Detention Center in Laredo (2), one at the Port Isabel Detention Center in Bayview and one case at the Laredo Processing Center.
More than a dozen suspect cases are under medical segregation at the Johnson County Jail in Cleburne, post mumps exposure.
- Vietnam: Measles, dengue up in Ho Chi Minh City
- Legionnaires’ disease cases linked to Crookston, MN hotel
- Uganda: Cholera sickens dozens in Kampala area
- Philippines measles outbreak: Cases and deaths double in one week
- Africa: Measles in Madagascar, Chikungunya in the Republic of Congo
- Measles outbreak tops 60 in Clark County
- Infectious disease bric-a-bracs: Oman MERS, Kenya malaria vaccine