The Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) received confirmation of equine herpes myeloencephalopathy (EHM), the neurologic disease linked to equine herpes virus (EHV-1), in a Hood County Quarter Horse on February 9, 2023. This is the first positive detection of EHM in Texas this year.
The horse was tested after showing neurologic signs, including poor muscle control in the hind limbs. The local veterinary clinic immediately placed the horse in an isolated quarantine where it remains
throughout treatment. The premises of origin has been quarantined and TAHC staff are working closely with the owner and local veterinarian to monitor other horses and enforce biosecurity measures on the premises.
The EHM positive horse attended the National Western Stock Show rodeo event in Denver, Colorado on January 20-21, 2023, and returned to its premises of origin following the event. The horse has not visited any other events that would expose additional equine. The Colorado State Veterinarian was contacted about this case.
Owners of horses that attended the event should work with their veterinary practitioner to establish
appropriate monitoring and diagnostic plans and are encouraged to take precautions.
- Clean and disinfect tack, boots, equipment, and grooming supplies.
- When you return to your farm, isolate the horses that attended the event for at least two weeks.
- Have their temperatures monitored twice daily for at least 14 days after last known exposure. If
a fever or other signs consistent with EHM develop, contact your veterinarian.
- When doing feeding and chores, work with the returning horses last, wear boots and coveralls,
and remove them before working with your other horses.
- Don’t forget to wash your hands.
EHM is a neurologic disease of horses linked to the equine herpes virus. Clinical signs of EHM in horses may include: fever of 102°F or greater (fever most often comes before neurologic signs), nasal discharge, lack of coordination, hindquarter weakness, leaning or resting against a fence or wall to maintain balance, lethargy, urine dribbling, head tilt, diminished tail tone, and penile paralysis.
Subscribe to Outbreak News TV on YouTube
- Two New Earthquakes Hit Turkey and Syria
- Let’s Talk Micro Podcast: Episode 1- Media
- Brazil: More than 52,000 young people aged 15 to 24 with HIV have evolved to AIDS in the last ten years
- Nigeria Lassa fever tally tops 500 confirmed cases
- Negros Oriental sees rise in hand, foot and mouth disease
- Canada: Measles case confirmed in London, Ontario
- FDA Accepts Valneva’s Chikungunya Vaccine License Application for Priority Review
- Austria: HPV vaccination free of charge up to the age of 21
- Denmark reports three times the normal rate of group A streptococci cases
- Rabies in Bennettsville, S.C.: Six people and six stray cats exposed
2 thoughts on “Texas: Equine Herpes Virus Confirmed in Hood County Horse”
Powerful Herbal treatment is 100% guaranteed for HSV cure, the reason why most people are finding it difficult to cure HSV 1 or 2 is because they believe in medical reports, drugs and medical treatments which are not helpful to cure HSV and haven’t proved any sign of helping. Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate herpes forever. I never believed it until I was helped and cured of my 16 months genital herpes with natural herbal medicines from Dr UMA . Where other medical prescribed drugs and treatments failed, Dr UMA natural herbs helped save me from Genital herpes permanently and I’m so grateful for this. You can also get help from this great and powerful African Herbalist Dr UMA by reaching him firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp +2347035619585, he also cure DIABETES, FIBROID, HIV, and HEPATITIS A,B,C. ,.
I bring you good news, I was sick for five years of HERPES, thanks to dr OKO , his herbal medicine have save me am cure now, do your self a favour and contact him , He prepare herbal medicine to cure the following and even more . Just contact him and tell him your problem.
URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
SIMPLEX HERPES AND GENITAL
His emails address : email@example.com
or whatsapp me on +2348142904432
Don’t die in silent, make a move and thank me later
– STD Treatment – Hep C Treatment