Several days ago, we told you of the story of the 14-year-old Houston child, who was diagnosed and being treated for Primary Amoebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM) at the Texas Children’s Hospital (TCH) – West Campus.
Despite great medical care and treatment regimen sent from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Michael John Riley Jr. lost his life Saturday to the 99 percent fatal parasite, Naegleria fowleri.
The Riley family posted the following to Facebook yesterday:
It is with a heavy heart that we tell you, Michael John Riley Jr. lost his battle on this earth but won a victory for his place in the arms of our Lord Jesus Christ. Michael fought a courageous fight over the past week, allowing him to move on to be with the Lord for future heavenly tasks, a beautiful set of wings, and a pair of gold running shoes.
The tests tonight produced undesirable results which were coupled with the inability to function without support and proper blood flow to the brain.
As Michael’s work here is done, we will begin our work in honoring him by continuing with our search for a better understanding along with an awareness campaign in hopes of sparing others from the tremendous pain and agony that follows the onset of Naegleria fowleri and primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM).
We will release information regarding service arrangements in the near future.
Family and friends from all over the world have shown tremendous support both in presence and from far distances. Our family continues to find comfort in your prayers and love, please keep them coming. From the bottom of our hearts we thank you for your outpouring of love.
The thoughts and prayers of the entire team here go out to Michael’s family.
Want to help in the battle against Naegleria fowleri? Go here and sign the petition: Naegleria fowleri: Petition calls for mandatory reporting of PAM at the national level
Robert Herriman is a microbiologist and the Editor-in-Chief of Outbreak News Today