Alberta Health Services (AHS) has confirmed two new cases of measles in the Edmonton Zone, and is advising the public of potential exposure locations. Individuals who were in the following locations, on the dates and time frames noted, may have been exposed to measles:
Kids in the Park Daycare – 2051 Sherwood Drive, Sherwood Park
- May 15th – 8:25 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- May 16th – 8:20 a.m. to 11:05 a.m.
- May 20th – 8:35 a.m. to 1:05 p.m.
- May 23rd – 10:50 a.m. to 5:45 p.m.
Royal Pizza – 590 Baseline Road, Sherwood Park
- May 16th – 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Ashmont Agriplex – Ashmont
- May 18th – 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Westgate Medicentre – 101, 9540 – 163 Street NW, Edmonton
- May 19th – 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Sherwood Park Medicentre – 101 Bremner Drive, Sherwood Park
- May 20th – 11: 15 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Dynalife Dx at Synergy Wellness Complex Lab – 501 Bethel Drive, Sherwood Park
- May 20th – 1:05 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
Individuals who were in the above locations within the noted time frames may be at risk for developing measles.
These individuals are advised to monitor themselves for symptoms of measles. If symptoms of measles do develop, these individuals are advised to stay home and call Health Link Alberta
(1-866-408-5465) before visiting any health care facility or provider.
Symptoms of measles include:
- fever of 38.3° C or higher; and
- cough, runny nose and/or red eyes; and
- a red blotchy rash that appears three to seven days after fever starts, beginning behind the ears and on the face and spreading down the body and then to the arms and legs.
Measles is an extremely contagious disease, spread easily through the air. There is no treatment for measles; however, it can be prevented through immunization.
In Alberta, measles vaccine is offered, free of charge, through Alberta’s publicly-funded immunization program. Children in Alberta typically receive their first dose of measles vaccine at 12 months of age, and their second dose between the ages of four and six years. Albertans born in or after 1970, who have not already received both doses of measles vaccine, are also eligible to receive the vaccine, free of charge.