By NewsDesk @bactiman63
On February 7, five people with signs of food poisoning were admitted to the infectious diseases department of the Bulungur District Medical Association in Samarkand region in southeastern Uzbekistan.
They were later diagnosed with botulism at the hospital. Despite the efforts of the doctors, one of the admitted, a 20-year-old man, died. Four more are in intensive care.
According to preliminary data, all five the day before, during lunch at the house of one of the victims, they ate canned tomatoes prepared at home.
Botulism is a rare but serious illness caused by a toxin produced by Clostridium botulinum bacteria. When ingested, the toxin attacks the body’s nerves. Symptoms typically start with muscle weakness in the face and neck, and then spreads to the torso, arms, and legs. The toxin weakens muscles used for breathing which can lead to death. It is important that anyone ill with symptoms of botulism visit a health care provider immediately to be assessed.
- South Africa authorities warn of rabies risk: ‘A person dying of rabies is an unnecessary death’
- Listeria outbreak sends 7 to the hospital, Linked to soft cheese
- Congenital syphilis in New Mexico: Updated legislation advances in Senate
- Marco Rubio sends letter to President Biden about plans to restrict travel to and from Florida
- Illinois reports B.1.351 COVID-19 variant, ‘We expected to see more cases of variants’
- Tajikistan reports polio case in Khatlon province
- Ebola outbreak: 3rd confirmed case reported in a week
- New Mexico reports 1st plague case of year in Los Alamos County cat