The crisis in Venezuela is immense with skyrocketing inflation rates, food and medicine shortages and incredible violence and civil unrest. The health care crisis has showed us hospitals with no supplies, a lack of running water and electricity, a malaria epidemic and the resurgence of diphtheria after 24 years…and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
For a closer look at the health care tragedy in the socialist country, Leopoldo Villegas. MD joined me a an in-depth interview on a myriad of topics. Dr Villegas is a Venezuelan trained physician, a senior international health adviser, an infectious disease expert and a former advisor to the Venezuelan Ministry of Health.
While based in the US, Dr Villegas has daily conversations with contacts in Venezuela concerning the state of health care.
LISTEN to the interview below:
The Outbreak News This Week Radio Show, the first and only radio programdedicated to infectious disease and health news and information, airs every Sunday at 8 pm ET in the Tampa Bay area on AM 1380 The Biz and online at http://1380thebiz.com/
- DDT: A history, Silent Spring, the ban and the rise of the mosquitoes–An interview with Dr Jane Orient
- Legionnaires’ disease: An interview with Dr. Mark Edwards and Sarah Ferrari
- Haiti, cholera and the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew
- Sepsis: Spreading the word about this medical emergency
- Rabies: A comprehensive interview with Pamela Wilson
- Bioterrorism: An interview with Lawrence Roberge, PhD