The Vietnam Ministry of Health reported 14,835 cases of COVID-19 in 62 provinces and cities on January 1, 2022, including 216 deaths.
Hanoi still reported the most with 1,748 cases followed by Vinh Long (1,223), Tay Ninh (947), Khanh Hoa (785) and Binh Phuoc (728).
To date, 20 cases of the COVID-19 Omicron variant have been recorded in Vietnam, all of which were isolated immediately after entry in Hanoi (1), Quang Nam (14), and Ho Chi Minh City. (5).
Since the beginning of the epidemic, Vietnam has 1,746,092 infections, including 1,740,340 cases since April 27, 2021. More than 32,000 deaths have been reported.
Health officials say over 84% of COVID-19 deaths are aged 50 and over and Deputy Minister of Health Nguyen Truong Son noted that in classifying COVID-19 patients, it is necessary to focus on high-risk groups – people over 50 years old, with underlying diseases, especially those who have not been vaccinated and have not received enough doses of COVID-19 vaccine.
- Indonesia: Local Omicron case reported in Jakarta
- Thailand: Norovirus outbreak reported in Chanthaburi
- Top 10 most popular posts of 2021 on Outbreak News Today, Most popular podcast
- South Africa: All indicators suggest the country may have passed the peak of the fourth wave at a national level
- E. coli 0157:H7 multistate outbreak linked to packaged salads
- ABQ BioPark Zoo reports second elephant with elephant endotheliotropic herpesvirus
- Oregon reports 1st Candida auris cases