Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is recalling its four-pound bag of Valencia Oranges, two-pound bag of lemons, bulk lemons, and a variety of in-store produced seafood and restaurant foods items that contain fresh lemon because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
The affected products were sold in Wegmans stores in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, and Brooklyn and Harrison, NY.
Affected produce items, sold between July 31 and August 7, 2020, include:
Wegmans 4lb Bag Valencia Oranges – UPC: 7789052363
Wegmans 2lb Bag Lemons – UPC: 7789015917
Wegmans bulk lemons – UPC: 4033
The lemons and oranges were supplied to Wegmans by Freshouse Produce LLC of Salisbury, NC, which issued a voluntary recall after the company’s internal testing identified Listeria monocytogenes on a piece of equipment in one of its packing facilities. No illnesses associated with this recall have been reported to Wegmans or its supplier.
Wegmans has placed automated phone calls to alert customers who purchased these products using Shoppers Club.
Customers should return these products to the service desk for a full refund. Those with questions may contact Wegmans Food Markets 1-855-934-3663 Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. or Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Philippines reports nearly 7000 new COVID-19 cases, Convalescent plasma warning
- Ebola and measles outbreaks in DRC
- Guinea reports Lassa fever death
- Global wild poliovirus cases near 100; Philippines achieves target for polio vaccination
- Canada: Chickenpox reported at Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario
- Prion diseases: Possible effective treatment strategy in new research
- CDC Closes Atlanta Buildings After Finding Legionella