Health officials with the Wichita Falls-Wichita County Public Health District reported Wednesday of a laboratory-confirmed human case of tularemia in a county resident.
Local media report that the patient was mowing his lawn at his home in Iowa Park when he accidentally ran over baby rabbits in the tall grass. In addition, one of his dogs was sickened after bringing one of the rabbits home.
He is currently being treated at a Dallas hospital.
Tularemia can be transmitted to people, such as hunters, who have handled infected animals. Infection can also arise from the bite of infected insects (most commonly ticks and deer flies); by exposure to contaminated food, water, or soil; by eating, drinking, putting hands to eyes, nose, or mouth before washing after outdoor activities; by direct contact with breaks in the skin; or by inhaling particles carrying the bacteria (through mowing or blowing vegetation and excavating soil).
Typical signs of infection in humans may include fever, chills, headache, swollen and painful lymph glands, and fatigue. If tularemia is caused by the bite of an infected insect or from bacteria entering a cut or scratch, it usually causes a skin ulcer or pustule and swollen glands. Eating or drinking food or water containing the bacteria may produce a throat infection, mouth ulcers, stomach pain, diarrhea and vomiting. Inhaling the bacteria may cause an infection of the lungs with chest pain and coughing.
Tularemia can be effectively treated with antibiotics. Untreated tularemia can lead to hospitalization and may be fatal if not diagnosed and treated appropriately.
- Chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis have reached a record high levels: ‘We have reached a decisive moment for the nation’
- Ohio cryptosporidium outbreak inches up, 937 cases
- University of Illinois reports dozens of hand, foot and mouth disease cases
- Florida screwworm update: Flies detected on multiple Keys, 10% of Key deer euthanized