In a follow-up on a report two weeks ago concerning a potential Zika-related microcephaly case in a four-month old child Krong Buk district, Dak Lak province, Vietnam health officials say the link was laboratory confirmed Sunday, local media report.
Vietnam is the second country in Southeast Asia to record cases of Zika-linked microcephaly after Thailand confirmed two cases in September.
The 23-year-old mother, a member of the E De ethnic minority, began suffering rashes and high fever during the second and third trimesters of her pregnancy.
Vietnam has recorded nine Zika cases since the start of this year, including five in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Philippines Zika virus case count now 19
- Ghana: Cape Coast reports cholera outbreak
- Malaria: France, UK and US report most imported cases; majority from West Africa
- Measles: Additional case confirmed in Perth
- Grenada reports outbreak of hand, foot and mouth disease
- Philippines: Catholic Church joins battle against Zika virus