In my second interview on Zika for the Nov. 6 airing of the Outbreak News This Week Radio Show, Vincent Racaniello, PhD joined me once again to discuss the latest goings on in his new Zika lab at Columbia University.
Dr Racaniello discussed some of the posts from his American Society for Microbiology blog, Zika Diaries, which chronicles the start-up of a Zika virus lab after doing polio research for more than three decades.
We also looked at some research in the field of Zika, to include a study where the findings demonstrate the virus targets the male reproductive system in mice.
Racaniello gave his perspective on the use of Wolbachia in the battle against mosquito borne viral diseases, the Zika testing controversy at the CDC and the work he is doing on his very popular website, Virology Blog and his associated podcasts.
Listen to the interview below:
The Outbreak News This Week Radio Show, the first and only radio programdedicated to infectious disease and health news and information, airs every Sunday at 8 pm ET in the Tampa Bay area on AM 1380 The Biz and online at http://1380thebiz.com/
- DDT: A history, Silent Spring, the ban and the rise of the mosquitoes–An interview with Dr Jane Orient
- Legionnaires’ disease: An interview with Dr. Mark Edwards and Sarah Ferrari
- Haiti, cholera and the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew
- Sepsis: Spreading the word about this medical emergency
- Rabies: A comprehensive interview with Pamela Wilson
- Bioterrorism: An interview with Lawrence Roberge, PhD