Zika virus has totally captured the country since the first announcement of non-travel associated Zika virus cases were reported in Florida last week. In an interview to be aired Sunday evening on the Outbreak News This Week Radio Show in the Tampa Bay area, I had the opportunity to discuss several issues regarding Zika with Vincent Racaniello, PhD. He is a virologist and a Columbia University Professor of Microbiology of Immunology.
Visit Virology Blog for news and analysis about viruses and viral disease
Racaniello gave his thoughts on the Zika situation in the Miami area and a possible “bigger picture”. We dabbled in Washington politics and why he believes that Congress fails on Zika virus.
Dr Racaniello gave a good update on the progress towards a Zika vaccine and the number of types being worked on.
We also got an update from “Zika Diaries“, where he chronicles the start up of a Zika virus research laboratory.
The Outbreak News This Week Radio Show, the first and only radio program dedicated to infectious disease and health news and information, airs every Sunday at 8 pm ET in the Tampa Bay area on AM 1380 The Biz and online at http://1380thebiz.com/
- Zika virus: US government funding, CDC EOC moving to a Level 1 activation
- Zika in Miami: 15th non-travel related infection being investigated
- CDC issues advice for living and traveling to the Zika affected area of Miami
- Zika is underreported: CDC travel-associated case numbers may just be the ‘tip of the iceberg’
- Zika virus vaccine
- CMV risk far outweighs Zika: Most common viral cause of birth defects in the US