By NewsDesk @bactiman63
According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the UN, in the Philippines, since the Department of Agriculture confirmed the first African swine fever (ASF) outbreak started on 25 July 2019, there have been outbreaks in twelve provinces/cities on Luzon Island.
On 1 February, the first outbreaks on southern Mindanao Island were reported in Davao Occidental Province. A total of 9 barangays (Linadasan, North Lamidian, South Lamidian, Calian, Mabuhay, Lawa, Nueva Villa, Baluntaya and Lapuan) in Don Marcelino Municipality, Davao Occidental Province have lost about 1,000 pigs. Checkpoints were quickly activated along the boundaries of Davao Occidental, Davao del Sur, and Sarangani Provinces.
To date, the affected provinces in the Philippines include Rizal, Bulacan, Pampanga, Pangasinan, Nueva Ecija, Cavite, Bataan, Tarlac, Aurora and Davao Occidental Provinces Provinces, Metro Manila (Caloocan, Malabon and Quezon Cities).
In Indonesia, since the Ministry of Agriculture confirmed an ASF outbreak in Indonesia, a total of 857 ASF outbreaks in backyard farms occurred since September 2019 in 18 out of 33 districts in the province: Batu Bara, Central Tapanuli, Dairi, Deli Serdang, Humbang Hasundutan, Karo, Langkat, Mandailing Natal, Medan, North Tapanuli, Pakpak Bharat, Pematang Siantar, South Tapanuli, Samosir, Simalungun, Tebing Tinggi, and Toba Samosir in North Sumatera Utara Province.
About 42,000 pigs have died in North Sumatra Province. More than 1,000 deaths of pigs with unknown cause were reported in 9 districts/cities of Bali province. Investigations are ongoing by the regional veterinary diagnostic laboratory to determine the cause of death.
To date, 11 countries in Asia have recorded outbreaks–China, Mongolia, Vietnam, Cambodia, North Korea, Laos, Myanmar, the Philippines, South Korea, Timor-Leste and Indonesia.
- Japan: 99 additional COVID-19 cases reported on Diamond Princess, American evacuees update
- Tonga measles: Case tally now 659
- Thailand reports 35th COVID-19 case, China total tops 70K
- Philippines records 15K dengue cases in first weeks of 2020
- France records 12th COVID-19 case, More cases in Singapore
- Two Chicago COVID-19 patients released from home isolation
- Maine reports fivefold increase in hepatitis A cases last year
- Taiwan reports 1st COVID-19 death, Fauci comments on possibility of a pandemic
- Singapore reports over 2,000 dengue cases in first 6 weeks