According to a Xinhua report this week, a human anthrax case has been reported in Uvs province in western Mongolia.
The case is a 37-year-old nomadic herder from Undurkhangai soum of the province. There is no information on how he contracted it or his condition.
Anthrax is a very serious disease of livestock because it can potentially cause the rapid loss of a large number of animals in a very short time. Affected animals are often found dead with no illness detected.
When conditions become favorable, the spores germinate into colonies of bacteria. An example would be a grazing cow ingests spores that in the cow, germinate, grow spread and eventually kill the animal. Anthrax is caused by the bacterium, Bacillus anthracis. This spore forming bacteria can survive in the environment for decades because of its ability to resist heat, cold, drying, etc. This is usually the infectious stage of anthrax.
There are no reports of person-to-person transmission of anthrax. People get anthrax by handling contaminated animal or animal products, consuming undercooked meat of infected animals and more recently, intentional release of spores.
- South Africa reports monkeypox case in resident of Gauteng province
- New York City reports 30 orthopoxvirus cases, all likely monkeypox
- CDC is recommending men who have sex with men get a meningococcal vaccine if they live in or are traveling to Florida
- London: Poliovirus detected in sewage
- Philippines dengue fever tally nears 40,000
- France: Monkeypox tally now 277 cases, 70% of cases in Ile-de-France
- Singapore reports 1st imported case of monkeypox infection