In a follow-up to the human anthrax death in Varna district, Bulgaria, health officials say they have stopped the spread of the serious bacterial disease, according to a Sofia Globe report.


Deputy Health Ministry Vanyo Sharkov said that everyone who had been in contact with the infected meat had been identified, found and had been given the necessary medication.

In addition, anthrax vaccination for cows and sheep in Mlada Gvadriya village commenced on Monday.

Dr Dochka Mihaylova, interim director of the Regional Health Inspectorate in Varna, announced 22 out the established 26 individuals who had had contact with the anthrax-infected meat had tested negative for anthrax, according to the Focus Information Agency. The 22 people in question ate from the meat. Samples from the remaining 4 individuals are to be tested on Monday.

Anthrax is a serious infectious disease caused by gram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria known as Bacillus anthracis. Anthrax can be found naturally in soil and commonly affects domestic and wild animals around the world. Although it is rare, people can get sick with anthrax if they come in contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products.