By NewsDesk @bactiman63
On World HIV Day, the Argentina National Ministry of Health presented the 2022 edition of the Bulletin on HIV and STIs, in which it is estimated that in Argentina there are more than 140,000 people with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). , although 13 percent of them are unaware.
In addition, the document reports that currently 65 percent of people who know their diagnosis are treated in the public health system and more than 65,000 receive their medication from the national State, which guarantees treatment for those who do not have health coverage or who do not receive medication from their social work.
At 98 percent, the main route of HIV transmission is unprotected sex. Among cis men, 64% become infected during sex with other men and 34% during sex with cis women.
HIV in Argentina is a concentrated epidemic with higher-than-average prevalence in some key groups, such as trans women, men who have sex with men, and sex workers.
An average of 5,300 new cases are reported each year, 69% of cis men being diagnosed with HIV with a median age of 32 years, while cis women represent 29% with a median of 35 years.
On the other hand, the mortality rate due to pathologies associated with HIV, although it had significant changes in the last 10 years, continues with a downward trend, reaching 2.5 per 100,000 inhabitants in 2020.
The bulletin includes the actions implemented by the Directorate of Response to HIV, STIs, Viral Hepatitis and Tuberculosis during this year in which different axes were prioritized, such as the national implementation of the Combined Prevention strategy for HIV and sexually transmitted infections. (ITS) which currently offers care centers in 10 jurisdictions; the decentralization of care strategy, based on the use of rapid tests to facilitate access to HIV and syphilis diagnosis.
- Brazil: 11 Chagas disease cases reported in Belém, Linked to consuming açaí
- Norway Salmonella outbreak update: Cases rise to 42
- Haemophilus influenza type B outbreak reported in Vancouver Island homeless
- Finland: RSV and influenza epidemics starting, pneumococcal infections on the rise
- Pakistan at excellent momentum to end polio, Southern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa the last front
- Chikungunya vaccine candidate: Antibody levels remained stable from month 6 to month 12
- Taiwan reports second case of H1N2v influenza
- UK reports increase in scarlet fever, invasive Group A strep
- Chikungunya situation in Brazil