Two people from Villa Urquiza have contracted botulism and health officials have linked it to consumption of hummus, according to a Perfil report (computer translated).


According to the report, the packaged hummus was from a a firm that marketed -without any type of authorization- vegan products in its Buenos Aires neighborhood of Palermo.

The two female patients, aged 25 and 32, presented Thursday with symptoms compatible with botulism: blurred vision, difficulty in swallowing, muscle weakness, muscle fatigue, among others. Both are hospitalized in the intensive care unit of Sanatorium Güemes.

The Buenos Aires Ministry of Health began an epidemiological investigation and prevention and control measures were implemented. It was determined that the cases of intoxication were associated with the product: “Hummus, organic chickpea, Tsuki Macro Vegan brand”.

The General Directorate of Food Safety and Hygiene of the Government Control Agency (AGC) closed the processing plant located in the Buenos Aires neighborhood of Palermo (Ravignani 1434) for not possessing authorization for the preparation of food and for the possession of merchandise for distribution and sale without regulatory labeling.

“The establishment was a private house used as a processing plant”, the AGC noted. Samples were taken  of all the products and sent to the Malbrán Institute for analysis.

Botulism is a potentially fatal form of food poisoning, can cause the following symptoms: general weakness, dizziness, double vision, and trouble with speaking or swallowing. Difficulty in breathing, weakness of other muscles, abdominal distension and constipation may also be common symptoms. People experiencing these problems should seek immediate medical attention.

Brazil: 1st human rabies case reported in Santa Catarina in nearly 40 years

Mayaro virus situation in the Americas 2019 to date: Peru, Ecuador

Dengue fever cases up 3.5 times this year in the Americas