Two people from Artamed village in Armenia’s Armavir province have been hospitalized after contracting the bacterial disease, anthrax, according to Armenian media accounts.

It is reported that the two patients contracted the bacterium while handling infected meat brought from Georgia.

Cutaneous anthrax lesion /CDC
Cutaneous anthrax lesion /CDC

They were admitted to Yerevan’s Nork hospital suffering with hand ulcers. Here is where Bacillus anthracis was confirmed.

They are reported in satisfactory condition.

Anthrax is a serious infectious disease caused by gram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria known as Bacillus anthracis. Anthrax can be found naturally in soil and commonly affects domestic and wild animals around the world. Although it is rare, people can get sick with anthrax if they come in contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products

Cutaneous  anthrax occurs when the spore (or possibly the bacterium) enters a cut or abrasion on the skin. It starts out as a raised bump that looks like an insect bite. It then develops into a blackened lesion called an eschar that may form a scab. Lymph glands in the area may swell plus edema may be present. This form of anthrax responds well to antibiotics. If untreated, deaths can occur if the infection goes systemic. 95% of cases of anthrax are cutaneous.

Related news: 

Anthrax outbreak sickens 8 in Kyrgyzstan

Europe reporting imported cutaneous diphtheria in refugees 

Russia: Dozens sickened with hepatitis A linked to drinking water