New South Wales (NSW) Health reported 1,116 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 in the last 24 hours, including four deaths. Of the 1,116 locally acquired cases reported to 8pm last night, 408 are from Western Sydney Local Health District (LHD), 372 are from South Western Sydney LHD, 132 are from Sydney LHD, 68 are from Nepean Blue Mountains LHD, 52 are from South Eastern Sydney LHD, 29 are from Western NSW LHD, 22 are from Northern Sydney LHD, eight are from Illawarra Shoalhaven LHD, six are from Hunter New England LHD, three are from Far West LHD, two are from Central Coast LHD, four are in a correctional centre and 10 cases are yet to be assigned to an LHD.
27,922 confirmed cases have been reported in Australia’s most populous state since the beginning of the pandemic, including 156 deaths.
There have been 100 COVID-19 related deaths in NSW since 16 June 2021, and 22,308 locally acquired cases reported since 16 June 2021.
COVID lockdown protests
On Tuesday, police responded to 79 protests against lockdown measures across New South Wales. Demonstrations were held in Ballina, Grafton, Lismore, Port Macquarie, Nowra, Wagga Wagga, Orange, Mudgee and Sydney.
More than 150 people had been arrested and more than 570 penalty infringement notices issued for health order breaches.
Sydney is now entering its third month of lockdown after imposing restrictions on movement on June 26.
Today, Prime Minister of Australia, Scott Morrison tweeted: Australia’s economy remains resilient to the impact of COVID19. Our capacity to recover quickly once lockdowns lift has been clearly demonstrated. That’s why we need to stick to the National Plan to ensure we come out the other side of the current lockdowns with confidence.
However, a report in the Brisbane Times states:
Make no mistake, Australia today is in a recession.
You don’t need to wait for a gaggle of journalists to tell you that. Look around. More than half our citizens are confined to their homes. Jobs have vaporized. Businesses are shutting.
If you’ve ever wondered what it would be like to live in a recession, well, this is it.
- Vietnam: Ho Chi Minh City and Binh Duong record nearly 10K new COVID-19 cases
- Costa Rica: COVID-19 cases up 22%, Vaccine side effects very low
- 50+ long-term effects of COVID-19: Lingering symptoms range from mild to debilitating and last for weeks to months after recovery
- Brazil: Santa Cruz do Sul reports hand, foot and mouth disease outbreaks
- Kenya: More than 1,200 dengue fever cases reported in Mombasa County
- Ireland syphilis outbreak update: Cases up 43% in 2021
- Philippines COVID-19 cases decrease after record day, DOH says all COVID-19 vaccines are effective