NSW Health reported today the first known death in NSW linked to the Omicron variant of concern.
Health officials report the patient, a man in his 80s from western Sydney died at Westmead Hospital.
He was a resident of the Uniting Lilian Wells aged care facility in North Parramatta, where he acquired his infection. He had received two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine and had underlying health conditions.
NSW has reported 136,822 total confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 654 deaths.
as of Thursday, 23 December 2021 across NSW, 95 per cent of people aged 16 and over have received a first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and 93.5 per cent have received two doses.
Of the people aged 12 to 15, 81.6 per cent have received a first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, and 78.3 per cent have received two doses.
- COVID-19 present in white-tailed deer in Texas
- Nigeria reports 10 additional Lassa fever cases
- Costa Rica COVID-19: Slight increase in cases, hospitalizations and deaths continue to decline; More Omicron reported
- Yellow fever in West and Central Africa: Vaccination coverage is not sufficient
- Dengue in the Americas: 1.17 million cases reported to date
- Ohio: 1st Powassan virus case reported in Columbiana County
- Peru: Omicron cases rise in Lima, All mild cases and no hospitalizations
- Vietnam: Hanoi reports most COVID-19 cases for 5th consecutive day