Mrs Unis Spicy Foods has recalled batches of its modified atmosphere packed products because of concerns about procedures to control Clostridium botulinum. The FSA has issued a Product Recall Information Notice in Scotland.

RecallThe effectiveness of process controls that could potentially affect the safety of modified atmosphere packed products produced by Mrs Unis Spicy Foods cannot be demonstrated satisfactorily. The issue relates to ensuring sufficient controlling factors to prevent the growth and toxin production of the bacterium known as Clostridium botulinum. This may cause a serious form of food poisoning called botulism.

There is not enough evidence to show that the products are safe. This means the company is recalling batches of its products as a precautionary measure.

Packs of the following products that have a ‘use by’ date of 24 March 2015 are being recalled:

  • Chicken Pakora Bites, 180g
  • Chicken Pakora Strips, 320g
  • Chicken Tikka Bites, 180g
  • Haggis Pakora, 200g
  • Onion Pakora, 200g
  • Vegetable Pakora, 180g
  • Onion Bhaji, 180g

Packs of the following products that have a ‘use by’ date of up to and including 8 April 2015 are being recalled:

  • 6 Vegetable Pakora, 250g
  • 6 Mini Onion Bhajees, 250g
  • Snack Pack, 250g
Clostridium botulinum/CDC

Mrs Unis Spicy Foods has recalled all affected batches. Point-of-sale notices are being produced for businesses supplied with affected batches. No other Mrs Unis Spicy Foods products are known to be affected.

Consumers are advised not to consume these products. Instead, any product should be returned to the store from where it was bought or should be disposed.

Clostridium botulinum toxin in food or beverages can cause foodborne botulism, which is a rare but potentially life-threatening bacterial illness. Food contaminated with the toxin may not look or smell spoiled, but when ingested can cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, fatigue, dry throat, respiratory failure or paralysis. Most people with botulism develop symptoms 12 to 36 hours after consuming contaminated food.