By NewsDesk  @infectiousdiseasenews

The the second time in two days, Karachi officials report a fatality due to the brain-eating amoeba, Naegleria fowleri.

Naegleria fowleri

The News reports the 14th case occurred in a 26-year-old man from Gulistan-e-Jauhar Block-27. He was was taken to the Aga Khan University Hospital [AKUH] last week after complaining of fever, vomiting and headache.

He died Friday afternoon.

Sindh Health Director General Dr Masood Solangi said that the family had informed them that the young man had gone swimming at a local pool, adding that the swimming pool lacking chlorination could be the place where he contracted the deadly brain infection.

Naegleria fowleri case reported in Texas

Dr Solangi said that cleanliness must be maintained at all reservoirs, overhead tanks and other reservoirs of household, pumping stations and hydrants at regular intervals. He said water lines must be checked for leakages and rectified at the earliest to avoid contamination with sewage, stressing an urgent need to sensitize the people to treat their tanks with bleaching powder on a regular basis.