By NewsDesk @bactiman63
The National Health Surveillance Agency – Anvisa reported this week the third outbreak of Candida auris in Brazil.
The 2 cases occurred in a hospital in Pernambuco (PE). Isolates from urine samples from a 38-year-old male patient and of a female patient, 70 years old, admitted to a Hospital in Pernambuco.
On 01/11/2022, Anvisa was notified of the confirmation of the first case and on 01/13/2022 the second case was confirmed.
The identifications were confirmed by the reference laboratory–the Central Public Health Laboratory.
- Since the identification of the suspected cases, the hospital has established precautionary measures and taken actions to prevent and control the outbreak.
- The Pernambuco State Infection Prevention and Control Coordination was notified about the suspected case, carried out a technical visit to the hospital and is providing guidance, monitoring the outbreak and supporting infection prevention and control actions.
- The national task force was activated and several surveillance , monitoring, prevention and control actions were intensified.
- The epidemiological investigation is already being organized and will be conducted by the Centers for Strategic Information on Health Surveillance ( Cievs ) and by the Epi SUS ( Epidemiology Applied to the services of the Unified Health System – SUS).
- CGLAB is monitoring and supporting the laboratory investigation of the outbreak.
- The reference laboratories – Lacens from Pernambuco and Bahia are supporting the analysis of samples sent by the hospital laboratory.
- The L emi from EPM/Unifesp is already preparing for the sequencing of the isolates.
- Anvisa is monitoring the actions related to the outbreak, articulating with those involved and supporting the actions of the national task force .