By NewsDesk @bactiman63

Bulgaria health officials reported a cutaneous anthrax case in a man from Shumen Province in northeastern Bulgaria. The patient contracted the bacterium after handling the skins of a dead animal.


The individual sought medical case and was treated on an outpatient basis.

This first case of the year was confirmed during the week ending September 11. This is the first anthrax case reported in Bulgaria since 2016, according to National Center for Infectious and Parasitic Diseases data.

Anthrax is a serious infectious disease caused by gram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria known as Bacillus anthracis. Anthrax can be found naturally in soil and commonly affects domestic and wild animals around the world. Although it is rare, people can get sick with anthrax if they come in contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products

Cutaneous  anthrax occurs when the spore (or possibly the bacterium) enters a cut or abrasion on the skin. It starts out as a raised bump that looks like an insect bite. It then develops into a blackened lesion called an eschar that may form a scab. Lymph glands in the area may swell plus edema may be present. This form of anthrax responds well to antibiotics. If untreated, deaths can occur if the infection goes systemic. 95% of cases of anthrax are cutaneous.