The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and state and local Health Officials are investigating an outbreak of hepatitis A illnesses linked to frozen strawberries. Epidemiologic and traceback evidence indicate frozen strawberries imported from Egypt are the likely source of this outbreak.

Image/ Yuyudevil

The recalled product was distributed by the International Company for Agricultural Production & Processing (ICAPP) and imported from Egypt.  On October 30, 2016, ICAPP recalled all of its frozen strawberries that were imported into the United States since January 1, 2016.

The recalled products were distributed for sale to and use in food service establishments nationwide.  As of October 17, 2016, 134 people with hepatitis A have been linked to the outbreak and reported from nine states: Arkansas (1), California (1), Maryland (12), New York (3), North Carolina (1), Oregon (1), Virginia (107), West Virginia (7), and Wisconsin (1).

Local Health Officials have identified seven food service establishments in Monterey County at which the recalled product were served recently.  These locations include:

  • Black Bear Diner, 2450 Fremont Street, Monterey
  • Farm Fresh Deli and Café, 145 Main Street, Salinas
  • Fish Hopper Restaurant, 700 Cannery Row, Monterey
  • La Plaza Bakery, 107 Bardin Road, Salinas
  • La Plaza Bakery, 20A North Sanborn Road B, Salinas
  • Turn 12 Bar and Grill, 400 Tyler Street, Monterey
  • Yogurt Heaven, 157 The Crossroads, Carmel

The restaurants are working closely with the Health Department.  All of the recalled product was immediately removed from their stocks upon notice.

Symptoms of hepatitis A can include vomiting, abdominal pain, yellowing of the skin and eyes, fever, fatigue, and nausea.  Symptoms develop two to six weeks after consuming contaminated food or drink and can last from one week to several months.  Most people recover completely, but sometimes hepatitis A can lead to hospitalization and severe illness. Hepatitis A can be passed from person-to-person when hands are not thoroughly washed after using the restroom.