The Regional Ministerial Secretariat (SEREMI) of Health of the Los Lagos Region confirmed a
new case of hantavirus in the rural area of the commune of Puerto Montt.
The patient is a 10-year-old resident of the Piedra Azul sector. This is the second case in a child this year.
Álex Rubén Oyarzo Cuevas, head of the Population Health Department of the Health SEREMI, confirmed the information. The affected girl was transferred to the Santa María Clinic in Santiago and she is in the intensive care unit at the medical center, he reported.
Oyarzo Cuevas noted that epidemiological and environmental investigations are being carried out to determine exposure to the virus.
The other hantavirus case was registered on April 15, when a 6-year-old boy from Trapen lost his life due to the hantavirus, a diagnosis confirmed by the Institute of Public Health (ISP) after his death.
- Colombia dengue update: Cases top 30K in first four months
- Iloilo reports 2nd human rabies death: Media report
- Maternal deaths up in the Philippines: UN
- Sexual violence spike among displaced people in North Kivu, DRC
- Zimbabwe reports more than 800 cholera cases in past three months
- CDC reissues travel advisory for Equatorial Guinea over Marburg outbreak
- Vancouver health officials warns of possible hepatitis A risk at McDonalds