By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The Chile Ministry of Health reported 6,405 new cases of COVID-19 Sunday, of which 5,760 were symptomatic and 645 were asymptomatic. This brings the total cases in the country to 134,150.
Health authorities also reported 96 deaths, bringing the total to 1,637.
The Health Minister, Jaime Mañalich, announced that when analyzing the epidemiological situation, it was decided to order quarantine in San Antonio, Valparaíso Region, and Calama, in the Antofagasta Region, starting on Tuesday, June 9 at 10:00 p.m.
This, according to the Minister of Health, is due to the fact that “Calama has had a significant increase in cases and we associate it with the lack of care in social distancing measures, such as clandestine parties, social gatherings that unfortunately have been held in said commune, very intense form ”.
In the case of San Antonio, the minister noted that, despite all the efforts made by the health authorities and the Administration, “we have a constant high number of cases in that province, which affects and compromises the healthcare capacity of all the Valparaíso Region, which is already highly demanded ”.
For this reason, the Sanitary Customs located between the Metropolitan Region and Valparaíso will also be strengthened, which will prohibit access for all people who do not have a corresponding permit or are in the COVID-19 or preventive quarantine.
- Equine encephalitis vaccine: Bavarian Nordic announces topline results from the the first-in-human trial
- Outbreak News Update: Robert Herriman talks about the brain eating amoeba, Naegleria fowleri
- Philippines COVID-19 death toll tops 1,000, More than 200 prisoners infected
- Indonesia: Most provinces report less than 10 new COVID-19 cases
- Cytokine storm: Acalabrutinib assists in calming down in COVID-19 patients in study
- False-negative COVID-19 tests: Challenges and implications
- White-Nose Syndrome reported in dead bats in North Dakota
- Philippines: Coronavirus cases top 21K, Testing to expand