China health officials report rapidly advancing development of COVID-19 vaccines targeting the Omicron variant.
The official, Zheng Zhongwei, with the National Health Commission said it is too early to determine if the Omicron variant would diminish the efficacy of existing vaccines.
“We think the majority of vaccines remain effective,” he said. “Despite the possibility of some degree of immunity escape, our initial finding is that they still have marked effects on preventing severe diseases and deaths.”
Like with the Delta variant, Zheng says they are speeding up the development of different types of vaccines targeting the Omicron variants.
To date, China has not reported any Omicron variant cases.
Currently, health officials are reporting COVID-19 in the border city of Manzhouli in north China’s Inner Mongolia autonomous region. The city has reported 194 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases in the latest outbreak.
- England Omicron cases top 100, More cases in Scotland
- Brazil reports 5 Omicron cases in São Paulo and the Federal District
- Costa Rica reports malaria outbreak in the North, 138 confirmed cases in past month
- Georgia resident tests positive for Omicron variant in New Jersey
- Louisiana reports 1st Omicron case in resident of the Greater New Orleans area
- Chikungunya virus infection may develop partial immunity to Mayaro virus: University of São Paulo researchers
- Shigella case numbers declining in recent weeks