April is federally sanctioned Donate Life Month. It’s an entire month of local, regional and national activities to help encourage Americans to register as organ, eye and tissue donors and to celebrate those that have saved lives through the gift of donation.
I was joined by two special guests on the Outbreak News This Week Radio Show to talk about organ and tissue donation. First is Betsy Edwards, Betsy is the Sr. Public Affairs Coordinator at LifeLink Foundation in Tampa, Florida.
I was also joined by donor family member, Carlos Ruiz. Carlos’s younger brother, Omar passed away in April 2014 & saved 4 lives through organ donation & helped many more through tissue.
We discussed many of the basics of organ and tissue donation, great information for someone still undecided on whether they should register. In addition, I had the honor to have Mr Ruiz talk about his family’s organ donation experience.
LISTEN to the interview below:
The Outbreak News This Week Radio Show, the first and only radio program dedicated to infectious disease and health news and information, airs every Sunday at 8 pm ET in the Tampa Bay area on AM 1380 The Biz and online at http://1380thebiz.com/
LISTEN to more interviews:
- Chagas disease: An interview with Patricia Dorn, PhD
- Avian influenza and the Top Five Epidemic Risk Factors for 2017
- Podcast: Dr Rodney Rohde discusses Medical Laboratory Science for the hour
- Mumps: An interview with Dr Dirk Haselow
- Legionnaires’ disease: An interview with Dr. Mark Edwards and Sarah Ferrari
- Rabies: A comprehensive interview with Pamela Wilson
- Bioterrorism: An interview with Lawrence Roberge, PhD
- Lyme disease Q & A with Dr. Paul Auwaerter
- Zika virus: A virologist’s viewpoint
- Blood Clots: An interview with Dr. Jack Ansell