Florida state health officials reported one additional case of locally acquired malaria this week in Sarasota County. In 2023, seven cases of locally acquired malaria have been reported in Florida, all in Sarasota County.
All cases occurred in the North Sarasota area and all patients have been treated and are recovering. Some of the cases have been reported in homeless individuals.
County officials are working with homeless outreach to distribute information, repellant and mosquito bed nets.
The Florida Department of Health also recorded one case of locally acquired dengue this week in Miami-Dade County. In 2023, three cases of locally acquired dengue have been reported, all in Miami-Dade County.
All three cases have been tested and found to be DENV-3.
- Guadeloupe reports upsurge in dengue cases
- Bangladesh: Dengue cases eclipse 22,000
- Argentina: Ministry of Health reinforces the current recommendations for vaccination against yellow fever for people who travel
- Nigeria officials report anthrax outbreak in Niger state
- What Happens When You Have an Endoscopy: A Comprehensive Guide
- Poland reports 12 trichinosis in first half of 2023
- Virginia Tech researchers to study lingering Lyme disease symptoms, Awarded NIH grant