By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The Florida Department of Health (DOH) reported that of the more than 106,000 COVID-19 tests performed Thursday, 12,444 new positive COVID-19 cases were recorded, or 13,3 percent.
135 Florida resident deaths related to COVID-19 were also reported, bringing the state tally to 5,653.
Public Health Advisory
The DOH issued an additional Public Health Advisory in response to COVID-19 Friday which provide the following recommendations:
- All individuals in Florida should wear a face covering over the nose and mouth in any setting where social distancing is not possible, both indoors and outdoors, unless any of the following apply:
- A child is under two years of age;
- An individual has one or more medical conditions or disabilities that prevent wearing a face covering;
- An individual is obtaining a service involving the nose or face for which temporary removal of the face covering is necessary to perform the service;
- An individual works in a profession where use of a face covering will not be compatible with the duties of the profession; or
- An individual is engaged in outdoor work or recreation with appropriate social distancing.
- Businesses and organizations are encouraged to require individuals who enter the premises to wear a face covering.
- All individuals should refrain from participation in social or recreational gatherings of more than 10 people. For all gatherings of fewer than 10 people, individuals should practice social distancing by maintaining a distance of at least six feet from each other and wearing a face covering.
With the exception of Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach, all Florida counties remain in Phase 2.
On Friday, the Florida Division of Emergency Management (FDEM) announced that an additional seven COVID-19 testing sites across the state will be created through a partnership with Target. Two of these sites opened today, and the remaining five sites will open over the next two weeks. The testing sites are located in Target parking lots and FDEM is conducting the testing.
The two sites that opened July 24 are listed below. Locations for additional sites will be announced as they open.
- Target Yulee Store
463737 State Road 200
Yulee, FL 32097
- Target Fleming Island Store
1490 County Road 220
Fleming Island, FL 32003
Testing at these sites will be conducted from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., seven days per week. These sites can conduct up to 400 tests per day.
When individuals go to the site, they will be asked for their name and contact information for registration. Individuals are asked to wait in their car or shaded area, and they will be sent a notification when their test is ready. Testing at these sites is free and available to anyone over the age of 18, regardless of symptoms.
The Division is providing staffing and personal protective equipment at each site. Tests will be sent to private labs and results will be available within 5 – 7 days.
Nationally, the US has seen more than 4 million cases and 145,000 deaths.
Got Smallpox? merchandise