The case was a 56-year-old female from Guangdong province with an onset of illness on 22 February 2023. The case was detected through severe acute respiratory infection (SARI) surveillance systems. She was hospitalized for severe pneumonia on 3 March 2023 and subsequently died on 16 March 2023.
The patient had multiple underlying conditions. She had a history of exposure to live poultry before the onset of the disease. No close contacts of the case developed an infection or symptoms of illness at the time of reporting.
The environmental samples were collected from the patient’s residence and the wet market where the patient was exposed before the onset of illness. The results of testing showed that the samples collected from the wet market were positive for H3.
To date, a total of 3 laboratory-confirmed cases of human infection with influenza A(H3N8) virus with one death have been reported to WHO in the Western Pacific Region.
- Okinawa reports 1st case of monkeypox, Cases in Japan increasing
- Indonesia reports 700K tuberculosis detections in 2022, A record high for the country
- Vietnam: Hanoi reports big increase in hand, foot and mouth disease
- Philippines dengue cases nearly double last year’s numbers
- Netherlands: Flu epidemic is over
- South Korea: 1st local transmission of monkeypox reported
- Ohio: Measles and mumps cases reported in Dayton area
- South Africa measles outbreak tops 900 cases