Here are the top five posts on Outbreak News Today for the week Oct. 6 through Oct 12:
5. Antibiotic overprescribing: Nearly half of outpatient prescriptions written without infection diagnosis
Research presented at IDWeek 2018 shows clinicians prescribed antibiotics without an infection-related diagnosis nearly half of the time and one in five prescriptions were provided without an in-person visit.
4. Lessons from the 1918 flu pandemic: How to prepare for future pandemics
Authors warn in a study published in Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology, that while the world is better prepared than 100 years ago, new challenges will affect the impact of the next influenza virus pandemic — including changing population demographics, antibiotic resistance and climate change
3. Dartmouth reports dozens of Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease cases in students
Dartmouth College reports dozens of hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) infections among students.
2. Minnesota: Acute flaccid myelitis cases investigated across state
Minnesota health officials report investigating six cases of a rare condition called acute flaccid myelitis (AFM) that occurred since mid-September.
1. Colorado investigates acute flaccid myelitis cases, viral infections with neurologic illness in children
Colorado state health officials announced they are investigating an outbreak of dozens of viral infections with neurologic complications among young children to include 14 AFM cases.
- Infectious disease news: Top 5 posts for the week Sept. 29-Oct. 5
- Infectious disease news: Top 5 posts for the week Sept. 22-28
- Infectious disease news: Top 5 posts for the week Sept. 15-21
- Infectious disease news: Top 5 posts for the week Sept. 8-14
- Infectious disease news: Top 5 posts for the week Sept. 1-7
New podcasts this week: