Missouri health officials advised the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) of a confirmed measles case who exposed Iowans to the highly contagious disease at locations in Des Moines and Ankeny. The infectious individual from Missouri traveled through Iowa and visited the following locations. Anyone who was in the locations at the referenced dates and times was exposed to measles.
Friday, April 13
8:15 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
Hardees (excluding the drive-through)
3621 Merle Hay Rd.
Des Moines, Iowa
Monday, April 16
Noon to 4:00 p.m.
2310 SE Delaware Avenue
If you were at the places during the times listed above, it is too late to receive preventive measures; therefore, if you have any symptoms consistent with measles (fever, cough, red/pink eyes, runny nose and/or a rash), call your health care provider immediately and arrange to be seen safely. Do not go to the doctor’s office, ER, local public health agency or a walk-in clinic until arrangements are made to be seen by your health care provider in a place and manner that will not potentially expose others to measles. Until arrangements are made, stay home; do not go into any public places.
Measles is easily spread through the air and there is no treatment for the illness, so prevention is critical. “Unfortunately, this situation is a great example of why all Iowans should check their personal and family immunization records to make sure their measles vaccinations are up-to-date,” said IDPH Medical Director, Dr. Patricia Quinlisk. “Since it is too late to prevent these exposed people from coming down with measles, they could become ill and start spreading the disease any day now. That is why is it so important that anyone who has not received two doses of measles vaccine go in and get vaccinated today. That way if they are exposed in the next month or so when they go about their normal activities, they will be protected.”
- New York: Potential measles exposure at several Jehovah’s Witness facilities
- Norovirus implicated in Western Connecticut State University outbreak: More than 100 sickened
- 1st total penis and scrotum transplant performed on Afghanistan vet
- Raw dog food recalled due to potential contamination with Listeria
- Anthrax antitoxin purchased for Strategic National Stockpile