By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
While most experts believe this number to be much higher, Iranian health officials reported an additional 1075 COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours, bringing the “official” country total to 10,075.
Of the 1000+ new cases, 303 cases were from Iran, 28 other provinces saw from 3 to 88 cases.
Spokesman for Ministry of Health, Dr. Kianush Jahanpour also reported an additional 75 fatalities. To date, Iran has seen 429 COVID-19 related deaths.
Earlier this week, Iran announced it would release 70,000 prisoners in an attempt to prevent an outbreak of the coronavirus in detention facilities throughout the country. “Prisoners will continue to be furloughed as long as [their release] does not interfere with the society’s security,” Ebrahim Rayeesi, chief of Iran’s judiciary, said Monday according to Iranian state news. “The priority lies with those who have underlying health conditions.”
- Philippines report 2nd COVID-19 death as case count tops 50
- Washington COVID-19: Governor Jay Inslee orders prohibition of larger gatherings
- Coronavirus bric-a-bracs: NBA, Tom Hanks and more
- Holland America Line vessel, Westerdam: Outbreak sickens 22
- New York COVID-19 outbreak: Case count tops 200, State will contract with 28 private labs to increase testing capacity
- Madrid COVID-19 cases top 1,000, Flights from Italy prohibited
- Italy COVID-19 death toll rises by 200, WHO declares pandemic