By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Health officials in Italy reported reported an additional 2,547 coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours.
This brings Italy’s outbreak total to 17,660. The death toll in the country is now 1,266, up from 1,016 deaths yesterday.
Lombardy region has seen 9,820 cases to date, only the countries of China and Iran have reported more cases than the region.
The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) said Wednesday the current situation is rapidly spreading worldwide and the number of cases in Europe is rising with increasing pace in several affected areas, there is a need for immediate targeted action. The speed with which COVID-19 can cause nationally incapacitating epidemics once transmission within the community is established, indicates that in a few weeks or even days, it is likely that similar situations to those seen in China and Italy may be seen in other EU/EEA countries or the UK.
There has been more than 30,000 COVID-19 cases in Europe and outside of Italy, high numbers of cases are reported in Spain, France, Germany, Denmark and Switzerland.
- Spain COVID-19 deaths double in two days, Prime Minister expects 10,000 cases in a week
- FDA Urging People to Donate Blood as Coronavirus Fears Intensify
- France COVID-19 death toll rises to 61
- Canada COVID-19 cases now 138, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau test positive
- New York: More than 100 additional COVID-19 cases, Public drive-through testing facility in New Rochelle