The Ibaraki Prefectural Government reports an anisakiasis infection in a woman in her 40s who ate several kinds of raw fish at the Kaiten-zushi Morita sushi restaurant near the Nakaminato Fish Market in the prefectural city of Hitachinaka, according to a Mainichi report.
She was admitted to a medical facility in Tsukuba, also in Ibaraki, early the next morning, after complaining of symptoms such as stomach pain and headaches. She then tested positive for anisakiasis, an infection caused by parasitic nematodes of the genus Anisakis.
Since June 18, the city’s public health center has barred the restaurant from serving raw fish that has not been frozen. The measure was lifted the following day.
Related: Sushi, sashimi and worms, oh my!
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Anisakiasis is a parasitic disease caused by nematodes (worms) that attach to the wall of the esophagus, stomach, or intestine.
The signs and symptoms of anisakiasis are abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, abdominal distention, diarrhea, blood and mucus in stool, and mild fever. Allergic reactions with rash and itching, and infrequently, anaphylaxis, can also occur.
The best ways to prevent this disease is to avoid eating raw or undercooked fish or squid.
- Breaking Down the Bulge: Get in the Know for Hernia Awareness Month
- Dengue fever cases rise to 4,869 in Laos
- Taiwan: Local dengue cases rise to 8 in Tainan City
- Anthrax outbreak reported in Lai Chau province, northwest Vietnam
- Thailand: Dengue fever cases could reach 3-year peak
- Nigeria: Measles outbreak claims the lives of more than 50 children since February in the Northeast
- Peter Hotez SHOULD debate Robert F. Kennedy Jr., The public needs to hear it
- Colorado: Cyclospora outbreak investigated, 62 cases reported since May 1