A fourteen year old boy has been admitted to The Kadamjai District Hospital in Batken region for treatment of suspected cutaneous anthrax, according to a RSOE EDIS report this week.


The boy found a sore on his hand on 30 Aug 2014 and tried to cure it by himself. On 9 Sep 2014, he went to the hospital, where he was immediately admitted in the infectious disease ward.

Medical personnel made a preliminary diagnosis of anthrax and sent analyzes to the laboratory at Osh City. The teenager was in contact with his classmates from 1-6 Sep 2014. The governor’s office ordered the district commission for emergencies to take the appropriate measures to prevent the infectious disease.

It is not clear how the teen contracted the serious bacterial infection.

Anthrax is a serious infectious disease caused by gram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria known as Bacillus anthracis. Anthrax can be found naturally in soil and commonly affects domestic and wild animals around the world. Although it is rare, people can get sick with anthrax if they come in contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products

Cutaneous  anthrax occurs when the spore (or possibly the bacterium) enters a cut or abrasion on the skin. It starts out as a raised bump that looks like an insect bite. It then develops into a blackened lesion called an eschar that may form a scab. Lymph glands in the area may swell plus edema may be present. This form of anthrax responds well to antibiotics. If untreated, deaths can occur if the infection goes systemic. 95% of cases of anthrax are cutaneous. For more infectious disease news and information, visit and “like” the Infectious Disease News Facebook page