Last week, we learned of a miracle of sorts. Florida Hospital for Children in Orlando announced that 16-year-old Sebastian Deleon had survived an infection with the amoebic parasite, Naegleria fowleri, the fourth such case on record in the United States.
The great work and rapid response of the team at Florida Hospital for Children and the investigational drug fro treating N. fowleri, miltefosine are credited with Sebastian’s survival.
Profounda, Inc CEO, Todd MacLaughlan joined me for an interview for the Outbreak News This Week Radio Show to discuss the events leading up to the delivery of the drug to the hospital.
In addition, MacLaughlan talked about the drug miltefosine, (Trade name Impavido), the growing consignment program Profounda has with hospitals and his work with Amoeba awareness organizations.
LISTEN to the interview below:
The Outbreak News This Week Radio Show, the first and only radio program dedicated to infectious disease and health news and information, airs every Sunday at 8 pm ET in the Tampa Bay area on AM 1380 The Biz and online at http://1380thebiz.com/
- Outbreak News Radio: Naegleria fowleri and amoeba awareness: Personal stories and the great work from ‘Kyle Cares’ and ‘Swim Above Water’
- Amoeba awareness: Naegleria fowleri
- Amoeba awareness, part 2: Balamuthia
- Outbreak News Radio: Parasitic meningitis and Naegleria fowleri
- Naegleria fowleri drug research: An interview with Dennis Kyle, PhD
- News about 2013 survivor, Kali Hardig